Autumn in the Utah Badlands (10/14/2021 - 10/17/2021)
Experience Autumn in the Badlands of Utah with Jess Santos and Sapna Reddy, October 14th - 17th, 2021. The vibrant colors of shimmering cottonwood groves agaist a backdrop of towering steel blue buttes create a juxtaposition of color and texture perfect for capturing compelling compositions.
Imagine a Landscape so unique that astronauts are trained here for landing on planet mars. This part of Utah has places that feel like you are on a different planet. With large wilderness sections embellished with unique colors, textures and architecture the region offers much to explore and photograph. A diverse landscape of hidden canyons and spectacular rock formations strewn across the desert. We hope to be in the desert at a time when autumn colors burst across the surreal landscape.
We are limiting the group size to 8 students to ensure that everyone recieves our attention and to keep compositional possibilities uncluttered.
This workshop will require moderate hiking (no more than 3 miles) through rocky or sandy terrain.
During our journey in the field you will learn:
- How to see a scene from start to finish
- Finding compelling compositions and telling a story with your images
- How to work with light and how to find the best light for the scene
- Focus stacking & Focal Length Blends
- Choosing the right settings for the scene
(aperture, shutter speed, ISO, white balance)
- Bracketing and exposure blending
- How to choose a focal length and creative ways to use lens distortion
- How and when to use filters
During our time in classroom you will learn:
- How to build your presence on social media, find your tribe, and create captivating posts and stories
- Planning your shoot (setting yourself up for ideal conditions)
- How to process your images using Lightroom, Photoshop & Capture One
- How to blend mutliple images together in Photoshop
(Focal Length Blends, Exposure Blends, Composites)
- How to put your focus stacked shots together using Photoshop & Helicon Focus
- Luminosity Masks (What they are and how to use them)
- Dodging and Burning
Sapna is a landscape photographer based in Northern California. She is currently pursuing dual careers as a photographer and a physician. As a radiologist she analyzes images in an attempt to establish diagnosis to achieve cure. As a photographer she aspires to generate images that are both a creative expression for the artist as well as a therapeutic visual for the viewer.
Her work has been awarded in competitions run by National Geographic, USA landscape photographer of the year, Lonely Planet, Popular Photography and Outdoor Photographer amongst others.
She has been published internationally and featured on Adobe, Sony , Lonely Planet and Flickr platforms. In addition to incorporation into multiple medical centers to create an ambiance of healing, her images have been used for video conferencing needs by corporations including Google,Gap, Hitachi, Yahoo etc.
Sapna conducts workshops both within US as well as internationally. These workshops are focussed on identifying and fine tuning individual creative style and creating meaningful images.
She is a brand ambassador for Guragear and Vallerret. In addition is a creative collaborator for Bayphotolab, Flickr and B&H.
Select images are sold in art galleries in over 80 countries worldwide. A significant portion of the proceeds from the sale of the images is directed to charity.